Fundamental
marketing starts with the pain; the reason a lot of things we do exist. Without
a thorough understanding of pain, we cannot do much. Pain had two key
components: sensory and emotional and is caused by a stimuli that has a
measurable impact to not only the target but also his or her surroundings. A
great marketer will first explore and define it as accurately as possible.
The reason we do
this is to understand the motivation of the target, the influencer and the
actions a marketer has to take to move through the first three steps. Here is one personal experience to illustrate
the point.
Runners
knee
I have a bad knee,
that has kept me from running for almost two years, a variety of reasons over 4+ years have
introduced a degree of discomfort into one knee. I decide to start running and blow it up by
the third run take a few months break and repeat it again. Once in a while,
upon suddenly getting up the knee cannot take my weight- one such episode
happened in the office. My employee noticed my "bad" and the next day
offered me a Chinese heat patch to fix my "pain".
Let us walk through
the understanding. Emotionally, I just had a bad knee- no pain until it was
brought into my attention. I was in-fact experiencing pain- dull throbbing pain
most of the time and sharp intense one that prevented me from placing weight on
my leg. The heat patch was applied
immediately and I did experience reduction in pain in an hour or so.
Experience
breakdown
Let me breakdown the buyers journey. With one
simple gesture- not a lot of fanfare but a simple act of kindness, my employee
took me through three of the 9 steps outlined in my previous blog :
- Acknowledge the pain
- Quantify the pain
- Know a solution
All of this happened
in a fraction of a second. The steps 5 and 6 were completely bypassed and step
number 7 was staring me in the face. It was easy to act- which I did. The
product did its job and I am not on step 9 talking about it to make my point.
After exhausting the
Chinese patches, I switched to Salonpas and
the knee is healing well.
Marketers
challenge
Would it not be
great if every single instance where the products we are marketing are readily
available and easy to try? I have successfully tried it and works like a charm.
You don’t have to go with the laundry list of features and benefits. Just address
the pain in the instance it matters most.
The patch heals back and every body part. Nowhere did it say- bad knee.
But once it lessened my pain- pain patches have an evangelist for free. Let
your imagination run wild on the possibilities with your products.
No comments:
Post a Comment